Saturday, April 30, 2011

Add it to the List....


Auditory processing disorder. Luke's latest. When will the ride stop? I want off! Just when I think things are going to settle down for a while, something new pops up. Why? I know God challenged me to get to the bottom of Luke's issues, but man, I didn't think I would be digging this deep. In my mind I imagine I thought scratching the surface would be about all we would need to do. Not major digging!

Since January, Luke has been diagnosed with Tourette syndrome, glaucoma and now auditory processing disorder. God has led me to a new therapy place (and it is ONLY God that has directed my steps here). I am putting my trust in him that this is something that HE wants for Luke as it is an unconvential therapy that is going to address the neurological side of some of Luke's issues by re-training the brain and creating new neurotransmitters and paths. Before you think anything weird is going on with wires and probes, be assured that is not how this therapy is conducted. Most of the basis of this therapy is conducted through Mozart music. He is going to under go 30 intense listening sessions, while participating in other therapies to help improve his academic skills. The listening part is done with a special machine that filters tones so Luke will be listening to different tones (high, medium, low). When we listen and speak there is airflow and bone conductivity. Those two systems function together to help a person to hear and understand. Luke's are not functioning together. They are all over the place. So....Miss Janell is going to help Luke re-train his brain. Much of this basis is due to the amount of ear infections he had from 0 to age 5. He probably had 25 to 30 ear infections in those 5 years. There were times his ears would just drain and drain and I couldn't get them to stop without Dr. Wilson putting in another set of ear tubes. If you would like to know more about the therapy go to www.dynamiclearningservices.net It is the only kind of this therapy in Oregon. YES we will be traveling to West Linn for therapy 2 times per week over the summer. As Mark puts it, "anything that will help him we will try. We will make it our PRIORITY. He is our SON, he is WORTH that effort." Please PRAY for us as we embark on this new journey. I sat at Luke's evaluation fighting the tears as I am told how impacted he is by this disorder and what kind of help it can give him. Please note that this is not a CURE for all his disorders but it is another tool that is going to help him be SUCCESSFUL and gain academic skills and progress.

I am reminded again today that I have to lay Luke's: ADHD, Microcephaly, Sensory Processing Disorder, Tourette Syndrome, Glaucoma and now Auditory Processing Disorder at the foot of the cross and keeping running the race that HE had set out for me to run.

I am reminded and encouraged by the verse: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. To HIM be the glory..." Ephesians 3: 20-21

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...