Wednesday, August 24, 2011

He Would Have Been...

60 years old today...(My Dad) Rev. Neal L. Nyhoff.  It's been almost 8 years now that he has been gone.  I have been thinking about him a lot lately, which is normal...grief often comes in waves.  For a long time things will be fine, and then for a while you think about it a lot.  I have known his birthday was coming for a while.  I mark it on every calendar I have.  I miss him.

I was driving home last night from my mom's house...after visiting with my aunt and uncle...thinking about the year I wrote his birthday down wrong and missed it.  I put it as the 28th and not the 24th.  I never called him that year on his birthday and I hated that I did that.  I wish I could do that over again.  So many more conversations we could have had.  So many more things we could have done.  I miss him.



Lately, I have been thinking a lot about his ministry, his legacy and work that he did to serve others.  I don't have many possessions of my dad's, but last night my mom gave me something wonderful.  It was his 25 years of service pin as a minister.  He spent 25 years as a minister of the Foursquare Church!  He was presented this award at the Foursquare National Convention in Hawaii in 2000 (a perfect place for the honor).  I miss him.

Among this bible, pin and some mementos I don't have too many of my dad's things....but that is ok...I have the things that you can't put a price on or hold in your hand.  I have his HEART for serving others, his COMPASSION for those in need, a BIBLICAL foundation and an OWNERSHIP of my FAITH.  It was because of his ministry that I taught Sunday School and developed my LOVE and PASSION for children.  I LEARNED so many things from my dad by just watching (which is how they say kids learn so many things). I miss him.


My parents valued EDUCATION and PUSHED me to achieve things that had lasting VALUE.  They
SUPPORTED me in my DECISIONS.  The day I graduated from Washington State University was a GREAT day! I held a little piece of each of them as I walked across the stage and accepted my degree.  Lately, though, I have been pondering the thought of getting my pastoral license.  Not that I have any idea how I would go about it, or that I have plans to go into full-time ministry.  But there is a part of me that would love to study the bible in greater depths, to follow the legacy of my father and have a connection with a part of who he was.  I know that I don't need a license to do that (to follow his legacy and feel connected) but it is something I think about. :)  I miss him.


So HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!! I wish we could have had a BIG party....I am sure you wouldn't have been thrilled about turning 60!  Heck...I remember when you turned 40 and the big party we had with the church people.  That seemed old then (and now I am 8 years away from being uhmmmm 40).  I miss you.

Thank you for finding our home.  It took a lot of vision (and you helping me see past the work) to make this house a home.  I don't know if I could ever move out because of the connection I feel with this place and you.  Thanks for your ear, that was always available to listen...and your voice that sometimes did more talking than necessary :) hehehe. Thanks to you and Mom for helping make and mold me into who I am today.  I miss you.
And THANK YOU to the LORD, who made this angelic little being, that is a constant reminder of "you"!  Most people can't figure out who she looks like (some say Mark, some say me) but in all honesty she looks like YOU!!! God has a sense a HUMOR.  Even last night on Skype, David said she has YOUR hair and head shape.  Too funny!

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!  Even though I am sure you don't celebrate birthdays in HEAVEN.  Or if you do...it is better than any party I could ever plan (and I can plan a party!) I love you! And keep watch over my 3 babies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...