Thursday, April 28, 2011

In My Element

It has been nearly a year now since I taught special education. I don't believe it is a coincidence that God continues to direct my steps back to special education. I think I have decided to embrace the calling and quit trying to fight it. This is what I am suppose to be doing. Right now part-time is perfect. It is a great balance of work, professionalism and home and children. I did end up giving my notice at MVCS. I just could not do everything. I really did not want to let the students down, but I was letting my own children down, so I had to do something about it. My last day at MVCS is tomorrow. It will eliminate some stress and time from my busy schedule. I am looking forward to just focusing on special education.

This is my classroom circle time area.

These are a few of the many visuals that are being used in the classroom. These ones are solely all snack food choices. Many of the children on my caseload have speech needs. This is a way for the children to work on requesting what they wanted aided by visual cues and pictures.

Here is another example. The table is set up for snack and I have and "I want..." board out with choice pictures at the bottom. When it is there turn they select the picture of the food they want and then say "I want juice." or "I want crackers," etc.

In other special education news...Grace started speech therapy with Miss Elsa. Here is her picture of her first day at speech. Elsa is the perfect therapist for Grace. She is cute and has cool jewelry. Grace adores her.

Here is Luke in OT with Joy. He is learning to use the computerized metronome.

Luke is using his whole body to shoot the beanbags through the point holes on the board.

Luke's IEP meeting went well. I am happy with things for now (subject to change at any point in time). He is receiving one 30 minute social group, three 15 minutes study skills help in the classroom, and two 30 minutes direct OT services per week at school. It has been a long...long...long process and now we are finally at the end of it. Luke is also going to be receiving more adoption support through the state. It has been two months in the making and I was prepared for a fight, but God was faithful and amazing things have been happening in the life of this little boy. I am so excited to be able to buy him some things to help with his needs. "Praise God from whom all blessings flow."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...