Thursday, March 19, 2020

The First Week of March: Beginnings of Influenza

I know I am not alone in feeling disappointment this month.  Many have had to cancel travel plans, parties, weddings, and other celebrations because of the virus that is going through our world.  Our story begins on Saturday, February 29, 2020.  I was running errands to get ready for being out of town with Mark for a few days.  It was our annual couples trip.  We were headed to the beach.  What started as a sore throat and tickle in the back of my throat, turned into body aches the next day.  Regardless we were leaving on Monday.  I could rest at the beach house and just as easily be sick there than at home.  
By the time we made it to the beach I was hurting all over.  I could barely walk through the little store to get food for the beach house.  My body hurt, throat hurt and my cough was bothering me.  Still I was not admitting that I was really sick.  After a coughing fit in the middle of the night, I went upstairs to sleep in another room, as to not bother Mark.  Fantastic.  Our first night away in eight months, I was so sick I had to sleep in another room.  By noon the next day, I looked at Mark, who was coughing at this point, and asked him to take me home.  We stopped by urgent care on the way home and surprisingly both tested positive for Influenza A.  I got the extra bonus of a chest x-ray, which thankfully came back negative For pneumonia.  We headed home to my mom, who was watching the kids. When we arrived home, it was clear Matthew was also sick.  I was certain he had the flu too.  

The next day my throat hurt so badly I could barely swallow.  Luke was complaining of his throat hurting.  My throat had not hurt that bad since my tonsillectomy recovery of 2011.  So back to urgent care we went.  I have to say that I HATE and DESPISE the strep test.  I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex.  Somehow I made it through the strep test.  A few minutes later a head nurse comes in to tell me that they had ran my strep test twice and it came back “inconclusive”.  She delivered the good news that we were going to do the strep test again.  “NOOOOOO” was exactly what I said.  In the end we ended up testing negative for strep.  That was good news.  The bad news was that during the night Luke began running a high fever.

The next day, I took Luke, Grace and Matthew into the doctor to be tested for the flu.  Bella had showed NO symptom of the flu.  Matthew tested positive and Grace and Luke tested negative.  I was sure Luke had the flu.  I still treated him the same way, since treating the flu is just managing symptoms.  

I would end up going back to the doctor for the 4th time a week later and have another chest X-ray (negative for pneumonia) but was treated for bronchitis.  What a whirlwind of a week.  I was so very very sick.  
In the midst of the illness, I was really blessed to have friends bring over meals for our family.  It is so difficult to be so sick and still have to care for people in your family that are sick.  I have learned to always say “YES” when someone offers to bring you food.  So thank you my wonderful tribe of family and friends.  I appreciated it so much.
Our bunnies have been a fun distraction during the illness.  They are growing like weeds.  We have 13 babes in all.  They will all grow up to be meat rabbits.  But I can’t think about that right now.  LOL.



 None of us were tested for the new Coronavirus, even though I would have liked to know.  The testing just wasn’t available.  We are in some very weird and interesting times right now.  I’m trying to keep things calm, be available for my kids and support my railroader husband who has a big job to do right now.

Even in the midst of sickness I still voted.  I was proud of myself.

I ended the week with a pedicure/self-care.  I am so glad that I did because now my nail shop is closed until further notice.  Take care of yourselves my friends.  Remember to put your own oxygen mask on first so that you can put masks on others.  



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...