Sunday, March 22, 2020

Quarantined: Coronavirus Day 7


Two days before the quarantine began it snowed.  My kids had been waiting all winter for a good snow day.  However, it felt very weird and overshadowed by the announcement from the Washington State governor declaring that the schools would be closed for the next six weeks.  In some ways, the snow felt like it was mocking me. I recalled past snow storms and children homebound for nearly a week.  Now, there would six weeks or more of kids homebound.

I waited in a line longer than this at our local grocery store shortly after the governor announced that he was closing schools.  Me and everyone else apparently.  I have never in my life seen anything like this.  It is both parts terrifying and fascinating to watch.  

Our family is in the southern part of Washington State.  Washington has been one of the hardest hits states of the Coronavirus.  I have been challenged to keep up on everything while meeting the needs of my four children.  Many jumped into homeschooling this past week, I just couldn’t.  We are mostly set up online learning because of the hybrid school my kids attend. I have to admit I have felt somewhat ran over by a bus. Four kid in three different schools is tough.  Especially when you have three kiddos on IEPs. We did literally nothing this past week.  There were art projects, and coloring and play doh and paint.  But no formal education was done.  I focused most of my time helping my almost 10 year old process not having her birthday party on Saturday and why as she said “the world sucks right now.”

We have all taken to the new confinement in different ways.  Bella has been cleaning and organizing and rearranging furniture.  Bless.her.heart.  “Mom, can you help me move this dresser?”  Ummm....okay.  I walked into their room (she shares with her 4 year old brother) and she had rearranged his side of the room too.  



She has also been crafting her little heart out with anything that she can find.  I’m proud of her with all the anxiety she deals with that there has only been one break down this past week.

I’ve been cooking more...obviously.  I’ve been trying to make things better with some of their favorites.  I have been struggling so much with the thought of two of my kids having birthdays during the middle of this pandemic.  I want their days to be special.  Ugh...life is a lesson in flexibility.

Friends and family have reached out and sent some wonderful things to the kids to brighten their day.  As a mama, I appreciate this so much!  They were thrilled when these packages arrived.
I’ve been back at work online with VIPKID.  I was taking a break for a couple of months and had plans to return when the time changed back.  It just happened to coincide with the Coronavirus.  Not many classes booked for this next week, but I am okay with that.
 My kids favorite meme right now.  You know when Disney is closed there is a problem.
We’ve been filling our time enjoying the beautiful weather.  Badminton, chalk art and water tables all around.  Along with playing with the baby bunnies.

Trying out online classes...there was a bit of a technology learning curve for Grace at first.
 Brothers playing video games.
Did I mention...catching flies?  Oh yes she did!
We were able to take a long walk on Thursday out away from others.  “Social distancing...”. The new phrase.
Oh my husband...bless his heart and his comic relief to me right now.  I am the more anxious one, and well...he is what I like to refer to him as, “middle school Mark.”  Haha.  He is always close by with a hilarious meme, or crazy outfit to get me laughing.  I love this man.  He works so hard.  He is out there on trains right now making sure the freight gets through.  I try to not worry.  My worst fear is that somehow he gets stuck away from us in Pasco.  
We celebrated our first birthday in the pandemic.  Luke turned 17 today!  I spent a good week preparing for the fact that we may not be able to leave the house.  He was able to go fishing with his dad on Friday and he had a cake and presents and lots of love and phone calls.  Definitely a birthday he will always remember.  I have let him spend the majority of the day playing Fortnite.  Something I never do.  


“We don’t remember days...we remember moments.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...