Saturday, March 28, 2020

Quarantined: Coronavirus Day 13

“Mommy I wet”.  That was my wake up call this morning from my 4 year old.  My mind didn’t forget we were living in a pandemic this morning.  I was up and out of bed.  We normally do bath-time in the evening, but with a whole lot of nothing on the agenda today, I ran him a bath and plopped him in.  He’s currently “swimming in mommy’s pool” as he calls it.  I’m nestled on the bathmat typing and responding to his comments about “Mommy I make small waves, is that a green choice?” Now he is softly talking to himself and his bath toys.  I could say that he is blissfully unaware of the world, however, on some level I know he is trying to adjust to our new normal.  I know he is aware of the shifting changes around him.

I’ve decided that today I am loading all the kids up in the van and taking a drive.  I am deeming it “essential.”  It is “essential” for this mama’s mental health to get out of the house today.  When Matthew was a newborn, I left the house almost everyday.  I had read an article that said to combat postpartum depression you should leave your home everyday (whether for a walk, a drive or an errand).  Because I had struggled with postpartum depression/anxiety with Bella, I took this news to heart and left the house each day with Matthew in tow.  This current quarantine is very challenging for me.  I like to be going and doing.  I still catch myself thinking, “oh the movie theater sounds like a good idea today,” or “a walk on the beach is just what my soul needs.”  Then I am thrusted back into our current reality.  Of course I can’t do any of that.  Everything is closed.  I understand, and agree with why we are doing this.  I want to save lives.  I want to keep my family safe.  I don’t want to catch the virus.  But I know I also have to have self care. I am having to be creative on how I can achieve self care during this quarantine. I parent four beautiful souls, and they can be a handful and challenging at times.  Mark is home about half of the time during a month.  So half the time it’s just me.  I’ve lost my support system in my mom, who was always available to help and give me a break if I was desperate.  I miss her right now.  A lot.  There is no running up and getting my nails done (which was part of my self care), or meeting a friend for lunch or coffee, or wandering the aisles at Target to just breathe for an hour or two.  I am dealing with the new reality, and feeling sad.  I know it’s okay to feel sad and that this too shall pass.  

So...today I am leaving the house.  We will drive to the PDX airport and see how many airplanes we can see (Matthew’s favorite).  We won’t park or anything, just drive through the departure and arrival concourse.  Maybe we will find our way back home, by driving by my childhood home and all the schools I attended.  I’ll play 90s music in the van (thank you Sirius XM), and maybe wave to Mom and Roger from the car.   We will see.  I just know...today...I have to see the outside world.  And that my friends...will bring me joy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...